There’s no way around it, plastic is having a devastating impact on the environment. At least 8 million tonnes of it enters the ocean each year, where it endangers marine life. Up until recently, most of us had little or no awareness of the problem. But things are changing.
Thanks to Blue Planet II, awareness of plastic pollution has never been greater. Governments, companies, innovators, and individuals are taking action to tackle it. There’s no quick fix for plastic pollution, but these nine plastic pollution facts are bound to make you feel more positive about its future.
1. Government action is making a difference.
2. Rare turtles returned to a beach in Mumbai for the first time in decades.
3. A new global plastic partnership could save millions of tonnes of plastic waste.
4. ‘Seabins’ could collect 70,000 tonnes of litter from the ocean every year.
5. Indonesia has pledged $1 billion a year to ocean clean up efforts.
6. Cups and bottles are being grown from vegetables.
7. Ocean-bound plastics are being turned into a resource for manufacturers.
8. Tens of thousands of people took part in the Trashtag Challenge.
9. British Supermarkets are cracking down on hundreds of tonnes of plastic packaging.
So far this year, a number of British supermarkets have introduced schemes to reduce plastic. Sainsburys has removed plastic bags for fruit, veg, and bakery items. Waitrose is trialling a “bring your own” container scheme, where you can buy items like pasta, rice, and coffee without any packaging. And Morrisons has rolled out plastic-free fruit and veg aisles in many of its stores.
These plastic pollution facts give a glimpse of a less polluted future. Governments and organisations worldwide are cracking down on plastic, which will mean less on shelves and less ending up as waste. As consumers, we’re more environmentally aware than ever. Consumer single-use plastic is bound to become a taboo, and hopefully one day, a thing of the past. With a gourd coffee cup in hand, let’s cheers to that!
Ready to do your bit? Check out our beginner’s guide on how to reduce plastic.
Oh hello! Just a quick note to say, we’re an eco-friendly subscription box helping our subscribers reduce plastic waste step-by-step. If that sounds exciting, enjoy 10% off your first box today with the code FIRSTBOX. That’s all for now, cheerio.